Candidate of Biology Sciences,
Adjunct Professor (University of Helsinki)
+7(7172) 70 75 17
Specialists in the field of molecular biology and genetics, bioinformatics. Author of more than 80 scientific papers, 4 patents, 2 monographs, 2 textbooks, more than 50 abstracts and 6 computer programs. Editorial boards of scientific journals: PLOS ONE and Repbase Update. Grant evaluations reviewer: Czech Science Foundation (GACR), The Center for Complexity Science (CCS, grant program (Jerusalem); National Research Foundation South Africa (NRF). Referee for scientific and scholarly journals: ActaPhysiologiaePlantarum, Annals of Botany, Australian Journal of Crop Science, Bioinformatics, BiologiaPlantarum, BioMed Research International, BMC Genomics, Chromosome Research, Czech Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding, Electrophoresis, FEMS Microbiology Letters, Genes & Genetic Systems, Genetica), IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, International Journal of Plant Genomics, Mobile DNA, Molecular Biology Reports, Molecular Breeding, Molecular Ecology, Molecular Genetics and Genomics, New Phytologist, Nucleic Acids Research, Plant Cell Reports, Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization, Plant Methods, Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, Plant Systematics and Evolution, PLOS ONE, Theoretical and Applied Genetics, Tree Genetics & Genomes.
- Plant genomics and evolution;
- Alternative splicing and intronic, non-coding DNA polymorphism;
- Biology of retrotransposons, their role in shaping the genome, and their applications as markers for biodiversity and breeding;
- Molecular markers based on retrotransposons and noncoding DNA polymorphism;
- Synthetic biology, bioinformatics (string searching and complexity analysis, search of repeats, DNA alignment and assembly, PCR primer design).
Kalendar R, Lee D, Schulman AH
FASTPCR software for PCR, in silico PCR, and oligonucleotide assembly and analysis. Methods in Molecular Biology series: DNA Cloning and Assembly Methods, e. ed. Valla S., Lale R., – 2014, 1116: 271-302. ISBN 978-1-62703-763-1. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-62703-764-8_18
Kalendar R, Schulman AH
Transposon based tagging: IRAP, REMAP, and iPBS. Methods in Molecular Biology series: Molecular Plant Taxonomy. Protocols and applications, ed. Besse P., – 2014, 1115: 233-255. ISBN 978-1-62703-766-2. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-62703-767-9_12
Kalendar R, Lee D, Schulman AH
Java web tools for PCR, in silico PCR, and oligonucleotide assembly and analysis. Genomics. – 2011, 98(2): 137-144. DOI:10.1016/j.ygeno.2011.04.009
Muterko A, Kalendar R, Cockram J, Balashova I, SivolapYu.
Discovery, evaluation and distribution of haplotypes and new alleles of Photoperiod-A1 gene in wheat. Plant Molecular Biology, 2015. DOI:10.1007/s11103-015-0313-2
Mandoulakani BA, Yaniv E, Kalendar R, Raats D, Bihamta MR, Schulman AH
Development of IRAP and REMAP derived SCAR markers for marker-assisted selection of the stripe rust resistance gene Yr15 derived from wild emmer wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 2015, 128(2): 211-219. DOI: 10.1007/s00122-014-2422-8
Moisy C, Schulman AH, Kalendar R, Pelsy F
The Tvv1 retrotransposon family is conserved between plant genomes separated by over 100 million years. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 2014, 127(5): 1223-1235. DOI:10.1007/s00122-014-2293-z
- Development PCR technology based on retrotransposons sequences for fingerprinting, genotyping plant and animals (IRAP, REMAP и iPBS techniques);
- Identification a new classes of plant and animals retrotransposons;
- Identification a simple repeats and characterizing by sequence linguistic complexity;
- Development computer programs and algorithms for PCR primer design and analysis, different kind repeats searching (microsatellites, retrotransposons, satellite and tandem repeats);
- The FastPCR software and online Java tools is an integrated tools environment that provides comprehensive and professional facilities for designing any kind of PCR primers for standard, long distance, inverse, real-time, multiplex, group-specific or unique, overlap extension PCR (OE-PCR) multi-fragments assembling cloning and LAMP; the in silico (virtual) PCR primers or probe searching or in silico PCR against whole genome(s) or a list of chromosome; comprehensive primer test; includes various bioinformatics tools.
- DNA / RNA extraction & quantification service: isolation of genomic DNA from different kind of human, agriculture and veterinary samples, as from biofluids, from difficult tissue samples (e.g. meat tissue) and complexity;
- Genotyping services: identification of genetic variation within all materials containing DNA, and from small sample numbers and single markers up to high throughput: fingerprinting genotyping, sequencing based genotyping, organism identification, copy number variation, genome wide association studies and analysis of target genes;
- DNA fingerprinting and genotyping in molecular diagnostics: criminal investigation, pathogen detection, paternity testing, polymorphism detection;
- Detection of DNA of plants, animals and humans in food and in other "difficult" samples;
- Primer and probe design services: complimentary probe design service is available for creating unique probes and primers specifically for most PCR applications and their combinations;
- Diagnostic application development services: developing efficient PCR primers for any PCR application in science, medicine or business;
- Developing noncoding DNA based amplification polymorphism for any plant or animals genomes;
- The FastPCR software certification: design and analysis of PCR primers and probe, search and characterization of repeats and bioinformatics;
- Development of computer software for bioinformatics;
- The molecular biology, bioinformatics and programming certificate program;
- Peer-review of international grants and research papers.