Dear our website visitors, welcome to the National Center for Biotechnology.
Progress in biotechnology development over the recent decades has become one of the leading factors in development of the world economy. Bioindustry ranks third in terms of capitalization among the sectors of the world economy, ceding only to the oil & gas and banking sectors. Development of biotechnology is one of the priorities of the National science and technology policy of Kazakhstan.
National Center for Biotechnology (NCB) is the Kazakhstani largest research center in the field of biology and biotechnology, comprising laboratories and scale-up facilities, employing more than 350 researchers and technical staff. We conduct research in the fields of medical and ecological biotechnology, molecular genetics and bioengineering of plants and microorganisms, veterinary, food and mining biotech.
Over the last years the NCB researchers have developed a number of methods, technologies and products:
Medicine and healthcare
- recombinant human erythropoietin in tablet form for treatment of severe anemia;
- cell products for treatment of burns of III-IV degrees.
- new molecular diagnostics for hepatitis virus, Epstein-Barr virus, human papilloma, tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency;
- genotyping of mycobacteria and other bacteria;
- full genome sequencing of bacteria genomes to develop recombinant strains with biologically valuable properties;
- genetic assessment of predisposition to development of gastritis, ulcers and gastric cancer, breast cancer, osteoporosis, restenosis after coronary stenting;
- a diagnostic panel for thrombolytic drug dosage calculation;
- a diagnostic algorithm for families with hereditary “Alport’s syndrome”;
- more than 2,500 of new genetic lines of wheat;
- 2 new breeds of spring soft wheat (“Kazakhstan” and “Ak Orda”) resistant to fungal infections;
- a new potato breed “Astanalyk”;
- a technology for production of virus-free potato seeds;
- methods for diagnosis of especially dangerous diseases of animals and birds;
- ELISA test systems for diagnostics of leukemia.
- microorganisms for industrial bioremediation of oil-contaminated soil and water.
- bacteria for bioleaching of gold, uranium and copper;
During the Soviet period of our history Kazakhstani biotechnologies were primarily associated with biological weapons. Nowadays biotech is a symbol of health, clean technologies, ecological products, clean air and water.
Our success today – is a confident step of the domestic biotechnologies towards future prosperity and security of our homeland.
The Director General